Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Are You There God? It's Me, Desperate Housewife



When I was 20 and in school in TO, I read one Saturday morning that Judy Blume would be doing a book signing at a children's bookstore downtown. I immediately got myself to the store, and there she was, all 5' of her. (She's very tiny)
As I waited in the lineup, I remember I how desperately I wanted to convey to her just how much her books had meant to me in my skinny, permed junior high years. I wanted her to know how much of a friend she had been to me. That I really was her Biggest Fan. (I really was her biggest fan that day...everyone else in the lineup was 10 and under)
But, when I got to Judy, what came out of my mouth was something like, "LikeohmyGodOHMYGOD!! JudyBLUME! ILOVEDyourbooks!!"
She blinked, donned a PR smile, and said, "Well, there's a new book about Fudgie I hope you'll enjoy."
Stupid mouth. At least I got her autograph.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody freezes in front of their celeb. idols.

I could only manage some kind of grunt as I shoved stuff at Mario Andretti to sign.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

Oh, I've read Wifey!
Also, my best friend and I in junior high used to sneak "Forever" and read the dirty parts.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kare said...

I don't know anyone who hasn't read Judy Blume, but you're the only one I know who has an autograph. You are famous!!
I dated this band guy ... I'll never tell who, but when I first met him, I couldn't even speak. Honestly, not a word could come out of my mouth.
(I was a bit of a rowdy in my former life)

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, band guy, Alberta... I'll bet it was one of The Northern Pikes. (maybe the little singer guy who bounced around a lot) ;-)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Kare said...

Rogue... You've interviewed Prime Ministers????
And Peter, nope.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Kare said...

You are very intriguing, Rogue.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

Oh God, I can SEE his ego getting bigger!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she meant to say "smell like fish chum" rather than "intriguing".

(It's a common mistake)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kare said...

omg. It didn't ever occur to me that rogue was Peter.
So sorry, DH.
LMAO!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Kare said...

I thought Rogue was a girl. I really did. I don't know why.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

It's not Peter, but it is a male. Ha ha! Wait till he reads you thought he was a girl!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Administrator said...

Rogue is Petey's seafaring nemesis (in a good natured way).

and ye thought he was a wee girl. Hahahaha, that'll kill him

Scorecard:
----------
"CM" and "Anonymous" are "Peter".
"Rogue Buccaneer" is himself.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Kare said...

Like the sands through the hourglass...

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kare said...

And to be fair...I thought Rogue was a very butch lesbian type of girl. Not a girly girl. I was kind of scared of her.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home