Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Another Cross Stitch Story

I was in a gift shop in Grand Manan this summer, and spied two cross stitch samplers on the wall. They were pretty, but nothing spectacular, not big, and not nearly as nice as my wedding sampler or the sampler I made for my mom a few years ago.
So my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the prices...$750 and $850 !!
I asked if the prices were correct, and I must have looked pretty amazed, because she explained that the framing alone cost about $200, and that she'd spent hours and hours all winter long working on them, and the price had to reflect the labour.
She was a new stitcher, and she clearly didn't realize that people don't pay that kind of money for cross stitch. Or, maybe they do. If tourists will spend money on PEI mud shirts, and chocolate-covered almond "moose droppings," they'll buy anything.

9 Comments:

Blogger Administrator said...

Thank you, I was just about to post the very same thing.

I guess tourist dollars are better spent on fish bottles and shells that can be found on any beach for free. :-)

(...and the dirt shirt brings out the poop-color in my eyes)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Administrator said...

Crazy
freakin'
tourists.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

Hey, I never said I WASN'T a crazy tourist!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

you know, I see a lot of those samplers on the Antiques Roadshow - in about 100 years, it'll be worth thousands and thousands of dollars. (not like that means anything to us now) It seems like a very painstaking and time consuming project - I would think yours would easily be worth that.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Kare said...

I wanted a mud shirt!! But not a $750 mud shirt.

Good luck to the lady. I think they are worth far more than $750, but well , you know. Like I said- good luck.
Now the Antiques Roadshow.. I've only heard one person say what the others all think. She said, "Ka Ching!" I laughed so hard.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

Great, my sister in law's great-great grandkids will cash in!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

And quilts! Just the fabric alone is a fortune!
Knitting, quilting, cross stitching...it's all a labour of love.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Ladybird said...

You dont sound like a desperate housewife at all in your posts. You are more a fun-loving career woman (with a kid in tow)?

6:38 AM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

Ladybird, I think that's the nicest compliment I've ever received!

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home