Monday, December 12, 2005

Comfort Food



My mother can't cook. She overcooks EVERYTHING because she's afraid of e-coli and salmonella. The only thing I ever really liked that she made was her beef stew. Now, I make it myself. It's really tasty, and simple. It's just stewing beef, potatoes, carrots, a couple of onions, and some rutabaga in plain water, no herbs or seasonings, left to simmer all day. The meat comes out melt- in -your- mouth tender, the potatoes fall apart, and when you walk in the door on a cold day, and that smell hits you...heaven! A plate of this, with the potatoes mashed into the broth with lots of butter is about the best comfort food I've ever had.

3 Comments:

Blogger Administrator said...

Good stew. Even us vegetable-haters like it.

(Makes me poopy though)

"e-coli and salmonella" You've never ever had either one, have you?

I think a thank you card to Mom is in order.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Beef Stew is the only food I will eat ketchup in.

Mmmm, carrots, meat and ketchup!

That's good shit!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

I forgot the fluffy dumplings you put in during the last half hour.
Damnit, I still want one of those stupid cinnamon buns

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home